an opportunity for expansion

I came across an interesting article today. It is titled "Our Prejudices, Ourselves". Granted, I don't know if I agree with everything this article states, it's an opinion article, but it something to think on... to ponder... possibly to grow from. Here is an excerpt:

"Let me cite a non-volatile example of how prejudice can cohabit unchecked with good intentions. I am a huge fan of David Letterman’s. I watch the opening of his show a couple of times a week and have done so for decades. Without fail, in his opening monologue or skit Mr. Letterman makes a joke about someone being fat. I kid you not. Will that destroy our nation? Should he be fired or lose his sponsors? Obviously not.

But I think that there is something deeper going on at the Letterman studio than coincidence. And, as I’ve said, I cite this example simply to illustrate that all kinds of prejudice exist in the human heart. Some are harmless. Some not so harmless. But we need to understand who we are if we wish to change. (In the interest of full disclosure, I should confess to not only being a gay American, but also a fat one. Yes, I’m a double winner.)

I urge you to look around, or better yet, listen around and become aware of the prejudice in everyday life. We are so surrounded by expressions of intolerance that I am in shock and awe that anyone noticed all these recent high-profile instances. Still, I’m gladdened because our no longer being deaf to them may signal their eventual eradication.

The real point is that you cannot harbor malice toward others and then cry foul when someone displays intolerance against you. Prejudice tolerated is intolerance encouraged. Rise up in righteousness when you witness the words and deeds of hate, but only if you are willing to rise up against them all, including your own. Otherwise suffer the slings and arrows of disrespect silently."

1 comments:

Vasilios Tryphonas II said...

Homosexual and overweight? Two life choices this person has made and he wants sympathy? I find this article a little pointless. If he had been short, or black or anything that he was born with this would be a little more relevant.
I am an African American and I know what its like to be looked at differently. Some of my most trusted friends have said the meanest things because of the color of my skin. Something I can’t control, something I was born with!!
You want to know something even crazier! My mom is black and my dad is white. Someone who had a prejudices about me being black, found this information out. You know what they said. They said, “Oh you’re mixed! We feel really bad for you. You don’t fit in anywhere. Not with black people, nor with whites.” Oh :( I don’t fit in anywhere. Lost among all the people of the world with no home. Not even significant enough to be hated or disliked. Come and talk to me when you have a real prejudice against you!
Ok I vented and let me say one more thing. There have been times when I have been frustrated for being mixed. I have wanted to be like everyone else. I have felt like that at times. But there hasn’t been a day that’s passed where I haven’t thanked God for me being mixed. Not a single day! A lost soul in this world...maybe? But God has told me, “You were born to be different!” Everyday I thank God for that. Because even though I think this guy has missed placed frustration and feelings doesn’t mean that he doesn’t have them. He still wants somebody to understand, and I more then most will understand what he’s going through, because I have lived with people judging me wrongly everyday of my life. So sir I will pray for you as I hope you pray for me.

Post a Comment


Template Brought by :

blogger templates